- Duration: Days: 3
Provider: LHP Skillnet
Skillnet Members Price: €125.00
This core QQI level 5 module is delivered as part of the Major award in Healthcare Support 5M4339. The course will run for 1 day per week for 3 weeks on Wednesdays. Please note, if you have applied for the major award there is no need to apply for the individual modules seperately.
- Who should attend: Anyone working in the private healthcare sector who is working toward their major award in healthcare support
- Award:QQI Minor award,Level 5
The aim of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to promote and maintain safety and health in a work environment.
Course Objectives and Learning Outcomes:
Learners will be able to:
- Analyse the duties of employers and employees as specified in current Safety, Health and Welfare at work legislation
- Examine the role of the Health and Safety Authority
- Explore the role of communication and training in the promotion and provision of health and safety in the workplace
- Comment on the elements and functions of the safety statement
- Summarise the factors which contribute to safe and healthy working environments
- Outline the principles and procedures of good housekeeping in the workplace
- Explain the causes, prevention, emergency procedures, reporting and recording of accidents and dangerous occurrences
- Analyse the causes and prevention of fire related events to include identification of emergency procedures, the fire triangle and fire equipment
- Comment on specific hazards and risks when working with equipment to include mechanical and electrical equipment
- Investigate how personal protective equipment (PPE) is used in the workplace
- Explore appropriate procedures for use and disposal of hazardous materials and waste in the workplace to include reference to material safety data sheets (MSDS)
- Examine the control and associated risks of a range of health and safety issues to include noise, sound, fumes, dust or any vocationally specific work issue
- Explain the typical contents of a first aid kit and their appropriate use
- Examine a range of issues related to infection control to include conditions for the growth and development of micro-organisms, routes of infection, symptoms, ill-health, preventative measures and emergency procedures for suspected contamination
- Investigate risk factors in relation to safety to include hazards, work environments, work practices, effects of medication, drink and drugs
- Interpret a range of safety signs in the workplace
- Promote safe and healthy working practices in relation to oneself, others and the workplace
- Outline risk factors in relation to health to include stress, lifestyle, diet, illness
- Outline the role of diet and exercise in the promotion of good health.
- Written Assignments - 60% weighting
- Examination - Theory - 40% weighting
Exact details of how to complete all assessments will be given in advance in class.
- Trainer Name: To be confirmed