- Duration: Days: 3
Provider: LHP SKillnet
Skillnet Members Price: €125.00
This elective QQI Level 5 module is delivered as part of the Major Award in Healthcare Support. The course will run for 1 day per week for 3 weeks. Please note, if you have applied for the Major Award there is no need to apply for the individual modules separately.
- Who should attend: Anyone working in private healthcare sector and working towards Major Award in Healthcare Support. Also it can be attended by a qualified healthcare assistants wishing to up-skill in the area of palliative care.
- Award:QQI Minor award,Level 5
The aim of this Module is to provide the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence toaddress the needs of an individual and their family after a diagnosis of a life limiting illness in a dignified, inclusive holistic manner while complying with national standards.
Course Objectives and Learning Outcomes:
Learners will be able to
1. Discuss the philosophy and principles of palliative care
2. Summarise the structure and organisation of palliative careservices to include the role played by the multi-disciplinary teamand diverse family structures in the provision of care for aterminally ill person
3. Discuss the role of the support worker in the promotion of keyissues such as life quality, self-esteem, respect, privacy anddignity in palliative care work
4. Explore different attitudes to death and dying to include anunderstanding of individual patterns of grief, bereavement andloss
5. Employ a range of communication strategies and processeswhich are central to the work in palliative care
6. Apply a person-centred approach to caring for a person in thelast days of their life to include the provision of supportive andholistic care promoting safety, dignity, respect and comfort
7. Respond appropriately to the needs of the person who isconfused in the last days of life
8. Work effectively and with great sensitivity in relation to the dyingperson and their significant others in a palliative care setting
9. Use the range of skills required from a palliative support worker in relation to end of life care.
- Trainer Name: To be confirmed