This study day will focus on the nutritional management of the older person and draw the relevance of related HIQA standards. This study day will address the nutritional issues associated with ageing, to provide healthcare personnel with information on how to screen for malnutrition and monitor residents nutritional status, to discuss nutrients of importance for the older person, to discuss relevant case studies on nutrition in the elderly , to facilitate workshops on nutritional products and menu planning.
This course aims to enable the participants to be compliant with the relevant HIQA standards on Food and Nutrition Requirements, to refer to Food Safety Authority of Ireland "Recommendations for a National Food and Nutrition Policy for older people", and to be compliant with the ESPEN guidelines 2006 and NICE guidelines
Course Objectives and Learning Outcomes
At the end of theis study day the participant should be able to;
- Have aware of the necessity to promote good practice in nutritional care of the older person.
- Know most recent research, guidelines and procedures in relation to nutritional needs and management in the residential care setting.
- Have an understanding on nutritional aspects of ageing.
- Discuss malnutrition in residential care settings in Ireland.
- Enable nurses and health care assistants to identify patients at risk of malnutrition.
- Demonstrate most commonly used screening tools that detects malnutrition.
- Outline the procedure for monitoring residents.
- Discuss the aim of nutritional support.
- Acknowledge the energy, protein and nutritional requirements of the older person.
- Educate the group on nutritional deficiencies in the older person.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the issues related to ageing; dehydration, dysphagia, lack of taste, digestive issues, changes in body composition, bone density.
- Promote a balanced diet and highlight ways to fortify foods with food alone and nutritional products.
- Discuss specialised therapeutic diets and nutritional considerations for these groups
- Ensure all participants have an interactive, informative study day with case studies and workshops.
Who Should Attend
All healthcare worker working in the private healthcare sector who have responsibility for supporting the older persons nutritional needs
Trainer Name: To be confirmed
- Category: Healthcare Skills
- Location: Nationwide
- Venue: TBC
- Duration: Days: 1
- Provider: LHP Skillnet
- Skillnet Members Price: €500.00
- Unemployed: No
- Accreditation: NMBI Accredited
- Award: NMBI CEUs
- Credits/CEU's: 7