A study day which overviews the principles of medication management and the related HIQA standards. It aims to teach nurses in private nursing homes the principles and standards of medication safety, while monitoring for risk to the resident due to the consumption of medicines. The participant will learn best practise with in-depth knowledge of common medications and the auditing procedure for incidents which may occur within the nursing home setting. The study employs lectures, group work, reflective practise and assessment to achieve its’ aims and objectives.
To be compliant with the relevant HIQA standards pertaining to Dementia Care (National Quality Standards for Residential Care Settings for Older People in Ireland)
To adhere to regulatory guidance (Guidance to Nurses and Midwives on Medication Management – An Bord Altranais 2007).
Course Objectives and Learning Outcomes
1. Be aware of the necessity of promoting good practice in medication management.
2. Know the legislation and policies requirements regarding medication management.
3. Be aware of the standards and policies of the professional body.
4. Know the Five Rights of Medication Administration.
5. Show understanding of the nurse's accountability in relation to administration and recording of all prescribed medications.
6. Demonstrate an understanding of the issues relating to medication considerations of the older adult.
7. Identify a framework for supervision related to medication management issues.
8. Demonstrate competence in the safe care of patients/residents prior to, during and following administration of medicines by various routes.
9. Discuss the procedures/protocols for the ordering, stock control, safe storage, and safe administration and correct recording of prescribed medicines.
10. Described the mode of action, therapeutic effects and side effects of a selection of frequently used medications for the older resident.
11. Explore methods of assessing and monitoring responses of adverse reactions to medications.
12. Identify the action to be taken in the event of errors/incidents in the administration and discrepancies on prescriptions.
13. Demonstrate and perform drug calculations.
Who Should Attend
Registered nurses working in the private nursing home sector
Trainer Name: To be confirmed
- Category: Healthcare Skills
- Location: Nationwide
- Venue: TBC
- Duration: Days: 1
- Provider: LHP Skillnet
- Skillnet Members Price: €500.00
- Unemployed: No
- Accreditation: NMBI Accredited
- Award: NMBI CEUs
- Credits/CEU's: 6