The Leadership Programme for Nursing Homes is tailored to address the particular challenges of leading people and organisations in the nursing home sector. This programme offers practical approaches to applying management principles that will facilitate you to manage and support your teams.
In response to the current pandemic, Harvest Training has redesigned and transferred its QQI Level 6 Leadership programme ONLINE (live classroom). The programme will be delivered over 5 non-consecutive days as a virtual classroom. These contact days will be supplemented by self-managed learning and by an additional pair of one-hour virtual classrooms.
All sessions are easily accessible regardless of your level of confidence using IT.
Each day will consist of morning and afternoon virtual classrooms, designed to be highly interactive and engaging. Delegates will have the opportunity to learn in a dynamic environment. Group work, discussions, exercises, and activities will continue to be key elements of training.
Please note that the cost for non-members (without funding) is €950. LHP Skillnet subsidises the fee for our member companies to €700 per delegate.
The next programme will start 20th October (finish 17th November)
All bookings are provisional until full payment is received.
Module 1 - Introduction to Management and Leadership
• The role of the nursing home manager.
• Identifying your management style.
Module 2 - Client Focused Communication Skills
• Overcoming communication barriers.
• Developing core communication skills.
• Communication effectively in challenging situation.
Module 3 - Building Performing Teams and Conflict Management
• Developing “performing teams.
• Your conflict style, when to adapt to increase your effectiveness.
Module 4 - Strategic Management
• Developing a positive performance culture.
• Managing a positive performance culture.
• Carrying out empowering performance reviews.
Module 5 - HR & Employment Law
• Employment Equality in the workplace.
• Unfair Dismissals Act – policies and procedures in practice.
• Coaching and mentoring toolkit.
• Implementing a coaching programme in the nursing home.
Course Objectives and Learning Outcomes
At the end of this programme the participant will be able to:
1. Adapt your management style and practices to provide a service that complies with the national quality standards for residential care settings for older people.
2. Provide proper governance within a well organised care setting.
3. Develop management skills and practices that create high quality teams, inspiring them to deliver excellent person-centred care for residents.
4. Influence others through clear and effective communication with residents, relatives and staff.
5. Productively and constructively identify and resolve issues affecting the needs of residents.
6. Coach and motivate team members to deliver high quality professional care which meets the changing needs of residents.
7. Develop effective staff management systems and procedures for recruitment, induction, training and performance management.
8. Empower staff and increase their sense of responsibility and accountability by delegating appropriately.
9. Describe the key elements of employment law legislation and how it relates to the nursing home sector and your personal practice.
Who Should Attend
It’s addressed to all nursing home staff who are in a leadership or management role including nursing home owners, clinical nurse managers, directors of nursing, team leaders in non-clinical roles and care staff who are responsible for managing others.
Please note that however HIQA doesn’t specify the exact requirements, in the Standards And Regulation Handbook (Standard 7.2). This programme however addresses the ‘appropriate qualifications'. Since 2010 it has been widely accepted within the sector and it meets the conditions for the person in charge from the HIQA's perspective.
This programme can be attended by healthcare professionals who are currnetly in employment.
- Category: Management and Administration in Healthcare
- Location: Nationwide
- Venue: Webinar
- Start date: 20 Oct 2021
- Duration: Days: 5
- Provider: Harvest
- Skillnet Members Price: €700.00
- Unemployed: No
- Accreditation: QQI
- Award: QQI Minor award
- Credits/CEU's: 15