- Start date: 10 Oct 2019
- Duration: Days: 5
Venue: Galway City
Skillnet Members Price: €700.00
The Leadership Programme for Nursing Homes is tailored to address the particular challenges of leading people and organisations in the nursing home sector. This programme offers practical approaches to applying management principles that will facilitate you to manage and support your teams.
Regardless of the exact location, this Leadership Programme will run on the following dates:
Day 1: Thursday the 10th of October
Day 2: Thursday the 17th of October
Day 3: Thursday the 24th of October
Day 4: Thursday the 31st of October
Day 5: Thursday the 7th of November
For a link to Harvest's description, please click here
- Who should attend: Nurses and similar healthcare professionals.
- Award:QQI Minor award
The break-down of the modules covered over the 5-day period is as follows:
Module 1 - Introduction to Management and Leadership
• The role of the nursing home manager.
• Identifying your management style.
Module 2 - Client Focused Communication Skills
• Overcoming communication barriers.
• Developing core communication skills.
• Communication effectively in challenging situation.
Module 3 - Building Performing Teams and Conflict Management
• Developing “performing teams.
• Your conflict style, when to adapt to increase your effectiveness.
Module 4 - Strategic Management
• Developing a positive performance culture.
• Managing a positive performance culture.
• Carrying out empowering performance reviews.
Module 5 - HR & Employment Law
• Employment Equality in the workplace.
• Unfair Dismissals Act – policies and procedures in practice.
Module 6 - Coaching for Improvement
• Coaching and mentoring toolkit.
• Implementing a coaching programme in the nursing home.
Course Objectives and Learning Outcomes:
At the end of this programme the participant will be able to:
1. Adapt your management style and practices to provide a service that complies with the national quality standards for residential care settings for older people.
2. Provide proper governance within a well organised care setting.
3. Develop management skills and practices that create high quality teams, inspiring them to deliver excellent person-centred care for residents.
4. Influence others through clear and effective communication with residents, relatives and staff.
5. Productively and constructively identify and resolve issues affecting the needs of residents.
6. Coach and motivate team members to deliver high quality professional care which meets the changing needs of residents.
7. Develop effective staff management systems and procedures for recruitment, induction, training and performance management.
8. Empower staff and increase their sense of responsibility and accountability by delegating appropriately.
9. Describe the key elements of employment law legislation and how it relates to the nursing home sector and your personal practice.