AIM AND PURPOSE
The Leadership Programme for Nursing Homes (QQI, Level 6) is tailored to address the particular challenges of leading people and organisations in the nursing home sector. This programme offers practical approaches to applying management principles that will facilitate you to manage and support your teams.
The next programme will start 24th of August
At the end of this programme the participant will be able to:
- Adapt your management style and practices to provide a service that complies with the national quality standards for residential care settings for older people.
- Provide proper governance within a well organised care setting.
- Develop management skills and practices that create high quality teams, inspiring them to deliver excellent person-centred care for residents.
- Influence others through clear and effective communication with residents, relatives and staff.
- Productively and constructively identify and resolve issues affecting the needs of residents.
- Coach and motivate team members to deliver high quality professional care which meets the changing needs of residents.
- Develop effective staff management systems and procedures for recruitment, induction, training and performance management.
- Empower staff and increase their sense of responsibility and accountability by delegating appropriately.
- Describe the key elements of employment law legislation and how it relates to the nursing home sector and your personal practice.
Module 1 - Introduction to Management and Leadership
• The role of the nursing home manager.
• Identifying your management style.
Module 2 - Client Focused Communication Skills
• Overcoming communication barriers.
• Developing core communication skills.
• Communication effectively in challenging situation.
Module 3 - Building Performing Teams and Conflict Management
• Developing *performing* teams.
• Your conflict style, when to adapt to increase influence and effectiveness.
Module 4 - Strategic Management
• Developing a positive performance culture.
• Managing a positive performance culture.
• Carrying out empowering performance reviews.
Module 5 - HR & Employment Law
• Employment Equality in the workplace.
• Unfair Dismissals Act – policies and procedures in practice.
Module 6 - Coaching Continuous Improvement
• Coaching and mentoring toolkit.
• Implementing a coaching programme in the nursing home.
In response to the current pandemic, the programme provider Harvest has redesigned and transferred its QQI Level 6 Leadership programme to live online classes. The programme will be delivered over 5 non-consecutive days as a virtual classroom. These contact days will be supplemented by self-managed learning and by an additional four 30-minute webinars. All sessions are easily accessible regardless of your level of confidence using IT.
Each day (0930 - 1600) will consist of morning and afternoon virtual classrooms, designed to be highly interactive and engaging. Learners will have the opportunity to learn in a dynamic environment. Group work, discussions, exercises, and activities will continue to be key elements of training.
There will be 2 forms of assessment on the Leadership Programme:
Learner record - 40%
Skills demonstration - 60%
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
It’s addressed to all nursing home staff who are in a leadership or management role including nursing home owners, clinical nurse managers, directors of nursing, team leaders in non-clinical roles and care staff who are responsible for managing others.
Please note that, while HIQA doesn’t specify the exact requirements in the Standards And Regulation Handbook (Standard 7.2), this programme does count as an ‘appropriate qualification'. It has been widely accepted within the sector since 2010 and it meets the conditions for the person in charge from HIQA's perspective.
This programme can be attended by healthcare professionals who are currently in employment. The programme is delivered through the English language and therefore requires participants to have a certain level of competency to participate in the programme.
Learners who successfully complete the programme will receive a component award, Leadership Programme from QQI (Level 6).
The subsidised cost of this programme is €700 per learner for LHP Skillnet member companies. The cost of the programme for non-members is €950 per learner.
- Category: Management and Administration in Healthcare
- Location: Nationwide
- Venue: Live Online
- Start date: 24 Aug 2022
- Duration: Days: 5
- Provider: Harvest
- LHP Skillnet Member Price: €700.00
- Non-Members Price: €950.00
- Unemployed: No
- Accreditation: QQI
- Award: QQI Minor award
- Credits/CEU's: 15