This core QQI Level 5 module is delivered as part of the Major Award in Healthcare Support. The course will run for 1 day per week for 4 weeks. Please note, if you have applied for the major award there is no need to apply for the individual modules separately.
This module can be offered only to the participants who are currently employed in a private healthcare organization.
The aim of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to care for clients in a safe and hygienic environment.
Course Objectives and Learning Outcomes
Learners will be able to:
- Identify relevant groups of people in need of health care
- Examine the physical, emotional, social, psychological and spiritual needs of a range of groups of people, taking into account individual variation
- Identify the hygiene needs of dependent clients
- Discuss the prevention of pressure sores
- Demonstrate knowledge of the correct procedures for the cleaning and replacement of a range of patient equipment
- Adapt levels of assistance to the needs of particular clients
- Demonstrate a range of interpersonal skills when dealing with clients to include empathy, respect, patience and effective communication skills
- Exercise initiative to improve client involvement in social events, outings and occupational therapy and physiotherapy
- Contribute to the maintenance of safe and hygienic environments for clients to include the safe disposal of soiled linen
- Assist clients with dressing, grooming, eating, drinking, toileting, continence promotion mobility and where appropriate, social needs
- Apply client safety and security procedures to includeappropriate on site client care procedures for washing, bathing, showering, positioning, moving and handling
- Give assistance that enhances the privacy, dignity, independence and positive self image of clients in care
- Give assistance to clients in the use of a range of care equipment to include sensory equipment, aids to encourage independence and mechanical aids including mobility aids, feeding aids, washing aids, elimination aids and hoists
- Report changes in the client's condition to the relevant Supervisor
- Complete client documentation where appropriate.
- Written Assignments - 40% weighting - 2 assignments - 20% weighting each
- Skills Demonstration - 60% weighting
Exact details of how to complete all assessments will be given in advance in class.
Trainer Name: To be confirmed
- Category: QQI Healthcare Support Course (Level 5)
- Venue: online
- Duration: Days: 3
- Provider: LHP Skillnet
- Skillnet Members Price: €100.00
- Unemployed: No
- Accreditation: QQI
- Award: QQI Minor award,Level 5
- Credits/CEU's: 15