This half-day interactive workshop explores the solutions and challenges surrounding oral health care for nurses, carers and managers working within a variety of healthcare settings.
It aims to encourage all nursing/healthcare staff engaged in the delivery of oral health care to ensure that patients and residents receive safe and effective care using the most up to date knowledge, skills and techniques across a variety of healthcare settings.
Part 1 - The Oral Cavity
- Oral fungal infections
- Oral viral Infections
- Oral bacterial infections [Dental Decay and Periodontal disease]
- Oral bisphosphonate osteonecrosis
- Oral Cancers / Head and neck cancers
Part 2 - Interactive workshops
- Denture Care - cleaning and labeling
- Oral hygiene and patient/resident communication skills and techniques
- Communication skills when providing oral care to a person living with dementia
- Brushing- Inter-dental aids and oral health materials
- Head and neck cancer screening- spot the signs
- Diet and Nutrition
- Smoking Cessation
- Oral health Assessment tool
The course has two main aims;1. Raise skill levels of nursing and care staff in providing oral health care for patients/residents.
2. Increasing knowledge and skills related to oral hygiene.
Course Objectives and Learning Outcomes
At the end of this half-day interactive workshop participants should have gained the skills and knowledge to;
1. Deliver quality care and be able to fill out the oral cavity assessment tool.
2. Keep patients free of pain and infection.
3. Keep patients comfortable, there mouth is moist and clear from dental plaque, calculus and food debris.
4. Gain skills in denture Labeling and cleaning.
5. To use Inter-dental aids, brushes and oral health materials available to keep to mouth free of pain and infection.
6. Understand the links between oral and general health.
Who Should Attend
Any healthcare provider working in the private healthcare sector. This workshop will be of great benefit to everyone dealing with patients on a daily basis in the following fields; Elderly, Disability, Palliative Care, Dementia and Alzheimer’s Care,and Adult Respite Care.
- Category: Healthcare Skills
- Location: Nationwide
- Venue: TBC
- Duration: Hours: 4
- Provider: DeCare Dental
- Skillnet Members Price: €270.00
- Unemployed: No
- Accreditation: NMBI Accredited
- Award: NMBI CEUs
- Credits/CEU's: 2.5