This study day will introduce the 'Palliative Care Approach' and stress the importance of holistic assessment & management of a resident's care needs at the end of their life. The course will focus on the Palliative Care Competence Framework (2014), which emphasises the resident's (and their family's) physical, psychological, spiritual and emotional needs as they approach the end of their lives.
The aim of this programme is to allow registered nurses, carers, and other HCWs to develop and enhance their knowledge of assessing, planning and managing end of life care in residential settings.
Dame Cecily Saunders (1984), founder of the modern hospice movement, once said : ‘How people die remains in the memory of those who live on’. This programme will ensure that registered nurses and carers gain a greater understanding of end of life care, so that they have the resources to incorporate patient-centred, holistic elements into their nursing and caring practice. The emphasis will be on living well until the end in their preferred place of care.
Course Objectives and Learning Outcomes
On completion participants should be able to:
- Critically analyse the nurse's professional and legal responsibilities in the practice of providing End of Life care in Residential care setting
- Understand the Principles of Palliative Care
- Understand the essential role good Communication plays in Palliative Care
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the patient assessment process in relation to the person approaching End of Life and the need to refer to Specialist Palliative Care Team/Multidisciplinary team.
- Develop skills to recognise the dying phase and implement patient-centred plan for management of pain and symptoms such as agitation and respiratory distress.
- Identify barriers to good communication in order to address challenges at end of life i.e. hydration and feeding.
- Identify the psychological, spiritual and emotional needs of patient and families.
- Appreciate and understand responses to Loss, Grief and bereavement.
Who Should Attend
Anyone working in the private healthcare sector with older persons
- Category: Healthcare Skills
- Location: Nationwide
- Venue: TBC
- Duration: Days: 1
- Provider: Leading Healthcare Providers Skillnet
- Skillnet Members Price: €500.00
- Unemployed: No
- Accreditation: NMBI Accredited
- Award: NMBI CEUs
- Credits/CEU's: 6.5 CEUs