Research suggests is that the majority of adults in Ireland are unprepared for the eventualities of old age, including increased infirmity, serious illness and death. Though inevitable consequences of our natural life-cycle, many feel overwhelmed by anxiety at the thought of these circumstances. Now, with the outbreak of the novel strain of coronovirus, the importance of dealing with the legal and ethical implications of these circumstances have become even more pressing, especially for the residents in nursing homes. This short online webinar will inform the participant in the essentials of preparation, decision-making and care documentation during the last stage of the resident's life, ensuring that difficult conversations with residents and their families are as productive as can be.
The webinar will be organised around these six major themes:
1. Death & Dying in Ireland
2. ... then COVID-19 Happens
3. Advance Care Planning
4. Having Conversations
5. Advance Healthcare Directives & Legislation
6. Questions & Discussion.
Course Objectives and Learning Outcomes
By the end of this programme, participants should be familiar with the following:
- The Main Tenets of Advance Care Planning
- Techniques for Difficult Conversations
- Likely Legal and Ethical Outcomes of ACP
- What is Enduring Power of Attorney?
- What are Advanced Healthcare Directives?
- The legal status of AHDs.
- The Assisted Decion-Making Capacity Act 2015
Who Should Attend
Owners, Directors of Nursing, Clinical Nurse Managers, Nurses, Healthcare Assistants, and anyone else whose role involves death and bereavement in the nursing home sector.
- Category: Healthcare Skills
- Venue: Webinar
- Duration: Days: Half day
- Provider: Irish Hospice Foundation
- Skillnet Members Price: NA
- Unemployed: No
- Accreditation: Company Certified
- Award: Certificate