This QQI Level 5 module is delivered as a standalone or additional module for carers with a minimum of 6 months clinical experience. This module will teach you how to perform a range of clinical observation skills relating to temperature, blood pressure, urinalysis, respiration rate and pulse rate. Participants must have the support of management to undertake the skills of taking blood pressure, pulse, respiratory rate, temperature, urinalysis, weight, fluid balance, in the clinical setting. Participants will be required to complete 10 supervised assessments of each skill in their work-place over the duration of the course.
The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to provide holistic care for older people in a variety of care settings working under the direction and supervision of nursing and or midwifery staff.
Course Objectives and Learning Outcomes
Learners will be able to:
1. Discuss a range of work practices in the provision of individualised holistic care for clients to include knowledge of the factors influencing the activities of living
2. Analyse the activities of living to include the five main concepts of the model of living an the role of a healthcare assistant in utilising the activities of living
3. Summarise the principles of maintaining a safe and hygienic environment to include knowledge of infection, accident , fire and problems with sensory deprivation
4. Implement a range of tasks carried out when caring for a patient in a safe environment to include effective communication skills
5. Employ the skills of a healthcare assistant in providing care for patients to include an awareness of the importance of nutrition, elimination, fluid balance, weight reporting and correct technique for catheter bag use
6. Practise skills involved in pressure area care, personal hygiene, foot care, patient temperature, mobilization and urinalysis
7. Demonstrate competence in a range of care techniques to include observations, manual and electronic counting, recording and reporting of pulse rate, breathing habit and blood pressure
8. Work independently and as part of a healthcare team to respond appropriately to the needs of a client in a care setting.
Who Should Attend
Anyone employed in the private healthcare sector who has either finished or is working toward their Major Award in Healthcare Support.
***Due to the pandemic currently we can't offer this programme to individuals. Only group booking from private healthcare organizations can be accommodated.
- Category: QQI Healthcare Support Course (Level 5)
- Location: Leinster
- Duration: Days: 4
- Provider: LHP Skillnet
- Skillnet Members Price: €125.00
- Unemployed: No
- Accreditation: QQI
- Award: QQI Minor award,Level 5
- Credits/CEU's: 15