- Start date: 02 May 2018
- Duration: Days: 3
Venue: Clayton Airport Hotel, Dublin
Provider: LHP Skillnet
Skillnet Members Price: €150.00
This core QQI level 5 module is delivered as part of the Major award in Healthcare Support 5M4339. The course will run for 1 day per week for 3 weeks on Wednesdays. Please note, if you have applied for the major award there is no need to apply for the individual modules seperately.
- Who should attend: Anyone working in the private healthcare sector who is working toward their major award in healthcare support
- Award:QQI Minor award,Level 5
The aim of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to promote and maintain safety and health in a work environment.
Course Objectives and Learning Outcomes:
Learners will be able to:
- Analyse the duties of employers and employees as specified in current Safety, Health and Welfare at work legislation
- Examine the role of the Health and Safety Authority
- Explore the role of communication and training in the promotion and provision of health and safety in the workplace
- Comment on the elements and functions of the safety statement
- Summarise the factors which contribute to safe and healthy working environments
- Outline the principles and procedures of good housekeeping in the workplace
- Explain the causes, prevention, emergency procedures, reporting and recording of accidents and dangerous occurrences
- Analyse the causes and prevention of fire related events to include identification of emergency procedures, the fire triangle and fire equipment
- Comment on specific hazards and risks when working with equipment to include mechanical and electrical equipment
- Investigate how personal protective equipment (PPE) is used in the workplace
- Explore appropriate procedures for use and disposal of hazardous materials and waste in the workplace to include reference to material safety data sheets (MSDS)
- Examine the control and associated risks of a range of health and safety issues to include noise, sound, fumes, dust or any vocationally specific work issue
- Explain the typical contents of a first aid kit and their appropriate use
- Examine a range of issues related to infection control to include conditions for the growth and development of micro-organisms, routes of infection, symptoms, ill-health, preventative measures and emergency procedures for suspected contamination
- Investigate risk factors in relation to safety to include hazards, work environments, work practices, effects of medication, drink and drugs
- Interpret a range of safety signs in the workplace
- Promote safe and healthy working practices in relation to oneself, others and the workplace
- Outline risk factors in relation to health to include stress, lifestyle, diet, illness
- Outline the role of diet and exercise in the promotion of good health.
- Written Assignments - 60% weighting
- Examination - Theory - 40% weighting
Exact details of how to complete all assessments will be given in advance in class.
- Trainer Name: To be confirmed
The LHP Skillnet is funded by member companies and the Training Networks Programme, an initiative of Skillnets Ltd. funded from the National Training Fund through the Departments of Education and Skills.